Thursday, February 26, 2009

Silly Willy

GABE

This young man is just a barrel of laughs. I don't know what to say other than my heart just sings. Often he gets just a bit carried away with his humor, not knowing when to stop getting all the giggles out of his cousins and adults. Many times the adult evil eye and down turning of the head is enough to bring him back to earth, but the finger snap and the stern voice have to make a showing on occasion. I tell you, I wouldn't have him any other way. He has been his own personality since he was 9 months old. Even then we knew we were in trouble. My story tonight comes from complete childhood innocence and I thought I must share:
At dinner we were talking about how Papa works on Tuesday and Thursday nights teaching at the local community college. It just came up as it usually does that Papa will come in and kiss you goodnight when you are asleep. Gabe smiled his normal half grin as noted in the above photo and continued eating dinner.
A couple of seconds later he said, "Mommy, does that mean Papa has two jobs?" I said yes and explained why he was gone at night because he couldn't do both at the same time.
He again paused a moment and said, "I know someone else who has two jobs." Finding myself feeling instantly flattered and recognized for all I do around here I knew he most be talking about me. Even in the small pauses of a 4 year old I could name four or more jobs I had done that day.
I was shocked when I asked him who and his response was, "Mrs. Holly, my teacher." I said Oh I didn't know that Mrs. Holly had another job...again mentally I was thinking that my sweet child took into account Mrs. Holly was also a mother. He responded with, "Yes mom, she helps the blind." I said oh, really I didn't know that she did that after school. I immediately started wondering where she volunteers and how she has the time (if you don't know her, then you just can't appreciate her awesomeness).
I said out loud, "I wonder what she does for them.." Gabe immediately stood up to show me. He said, "oh, that's easy mom, she just places her hand on their forehead like this (Gabe's palm pressed tightly on my own head) and the she does this (he give me a slight push), and that's it mom, then they can see again. She is really helpful to them. I think they must really like her."
So thank you again Mrs. Holly. I knew you were great but never understood the depths of your miracles until seen through the eyes of the children you reach...and the blind you heal of course!
Gabe little man, I love you and have growing pride and admiration for you each and every day. Keep soaring~

No comments: